Home » Elgin Photos

Elgin Photos



Enjoy these recent photos of Elgin IL by Flickr photographers. If you’d like your pictures to appear here, please join the Elgin photo pool on Flickr.

The Shape of Winter ©2017 Lauri Novak
Feb 12, 2018

By LauriNovakPhotography

The Shape of Winter ©2017 Lauri Novak

Woodpecker
Feb 8, 2018

By j.miner

Woodpecker

Hawthorne Hill Nature Center

Northern Cardinal
Jan 31, 2018

By j.miner

Northern Cardinal

Hawthorne Hill Nature Center

Northern Cardinal
Jan 31, 2018

By j.miner

Northern Cardinal

Hawthorne Hill Nature Center

Bald Eagle
Jan 31, 2018

By j.miner

Bald Eagle

Crow & Owl
Jan 23, 2018

By j.miner

Crow & Owl

Hawthorne Hill Nature Center

Great Horned Owl
Jan 23, 2018

By j.miner

Great Horned Owl

Hawthorne Hill Nature Center

Bald Eagle
Jan 23, 2018

By j.miner

Bald Eagle

Elgin Shores Forest Preserve

Bald Eagle
Jan 23, 2018

By j.miner

Bald Eagle

Bald Eagle
Jan 23, 2018

By j.miner

Bald Eagle

grant lodge
Nov 15, 2017

By Tom McPherson

grant lodge

‘The walks’ Elgin
Nov 15, 2017

By Tom McPherson

‘The walks’ Elgin

oldmills 2
Nov 15, 2017

By Tom McPherson

oldmills 2

Back at Oldmills, Elgin

Nearly gone
Nov 15, 2017

By Tom McPherson

Nearly gone

oldmill wheel
Nov 15, 2017

By Tom McPherson

oldmill wheel

The Oldmills Water Wheel, Elgin

Frosty Laich
Nov 11, 2017

By Tom McPherson

Frosty Laich

A frosty Laich O’ Moray view from Duffus Castle

young love
Sep 2, 2017

By Tom McPherson

young love

Cooper Park, Elgin

Elgin Cathedral
Sep 2, 2017

By Tom McPherson

Elgin Cathedral

Elgin Cathedral is a historic ruin in Elgin, Moray, north-east Scotland. The cathedral—dedicated to the Holy Trinity—was established in 1224 on land granted by King Alexander II outside the burgh of Elgin and close to the River Lossie. It replaced the cathedral at Spynie, 3 kilometres (1.9 mi) to the north, that was served by a small chapter of eight clerics. The new and bigger cathedral was staffed with 18 canons in 1226 and then increased to 23 by 1242. After a damaging fire in 1270, a rebuilding programme greatly enlarged the building. It was unaffected by the Wars of Scottish Independence but again suffered extensive fire damage in 1390 following an attack by Robert III's brother Alexander Stewart, Earl of Buchan, also known as the Wolf of Badenoch. In 1402 the cathedral precinct again suffered an incendiary attack by the followers of the Lord of the Isles. The number of clerics required to staff the cathedral continued to grow, as did the number of craftsmen needed to maintain the buildings and surrounds. The number of canons had increased to 25 by the time of the Scottish Reformation in 1560, when the cathedral was abandoned and its services transferred to Elgin's parish church of St Giles. After the removal of the lead that waterproofed the roof in 1567, the cathedral steadily fell into decay. Its deterioration was arrested in the 19th century, by which time the building was in a substantially ruinous condition.

Steppin’ Stanes
Dec 22, 2016

By Tom McPherson

Steppin’ Stanes

'The Stanies' at Sherrifmill, by Bow Brig, Elgin

river Lossie Elgin
Nov 23, 2016

By Tom McPherson

river Lossie Elgin