Home » Elgin News

U-46 official placed on leave

11 February 2012 Elgin Illinois 16 Comments

Read the full story (external link)

16 Responses to “U-46 official placed on leave”

1. RS says:

Elgin Area School District U-46 officials have put their human resources director on administrative leave, but aren’t saying why.

Deborah Zelinski, 54, who makes $160,000 a year, was placed on leave last Friday and will be paid during her absence, district spokesman Tony Sanders said.

Sanders declined to discuss why Zelinski hasn’t been back to work, but said, “I can assure you there was nothing criminal and nothing reported to any police departments, period.”

Zelinski has been the district’s chief human resources officer for about a year and a half, Sanders said.

Those folks are especially good at keeping their heads down. Gilliam used to do that job.
      Don’t expect any details from them. Even the board won’t discuss it in public.

I’m sure Dr. Torres will give us transparency! Oh wait that’s not the “liberal” way, no instead they (liberals) must prfotect each other because of course the tax payers are just “hosts” for their ultimate desires! What garbage…

3. Jerry Garcia says:

OK, the law may prevent them from saying anything. I am sure you have heard of HIPAA. The fire, ready, aim approach is not doing you any favors. Take a deep breath, think, evaluate then execute.

• Craig says:

Take a deep breath…always good advice!

• Terry Gavin says:

If the “leave” is health related then HIPAA would apply but nothing in the story points in that direction.

Having been to & spoken at U-46 board meetings it has astounded me how much disdain was demonstrated by Dr. Torres for people speaking against some of the boards positions.

I always take a deep breathe nowadays when I open my property tax bill, just last fall our bills here on the Elgin eastside jumped 22% in one year & almost all of it went to U-46 & the City of Elgin. If this keeps up within another 5-10 years only people working for the school district or the city will be able to afford to live here.

• Terry Gavin says:

Oh btw J G when Connie Neale left town with her tax payer funded golden parachute HIPAA applied to protect her but what protection is/was there for us taxpayers. You see her sweet deal given to her by the then U-46 School Board will wind up costing us millions of $’s while she sits home down in Missouri for the rest of her life.

Take a deep breathe indeed!

• Jerry Garcia says:

That Connie Neal thing was bad and continues to smell. I wanted another word there but I thought I would be civil. No doubt. How many of the current board members were on the board then? I think one voted against her package, right?

• Terry Gavin says:

Yes Jerry one board member at the time voted no to her deal & afterwards resigned in protest. Though I’m not sure who on this board was on that one but after watching this board now at “work” I doubt they are concerned about the spending of taxpayers money!

• Anonymous says:

Can we breath yet, Jerry? Or will hell have to freeze over before U46 can tell us why they put someone on paid leave?
      Why say anything at all if all that is said only leaves everyone wondering what is really happening?
      Does HIPAA really prevent U46 from saying ‘paid medical leave’?
      Your “may” indicates you do not know. Take a deep breath, Jerry, before telling us what else you don’t know!

4. Mel says:

Ask me… U46 is a joke. This is my sons last year. Lies is what it is. Sneaky and bs is all it is. I could tell my story but what good dose it do….. To be a product of U46 is what it is….. Try restraining a student an they have marks from head to toe. And they still have a job.

• Craig says:

Well, we allow our children to be educated in institutions ran by elected officials who have an incentive to keep the public ignorant to the fact that they are highly corrupt. Would you expect that they’d do a good job teaching our kids to think critically?

• Jerry Garcia says:

They are not paid or appointed. They pay the same taxes, send their kids to school in the district, and many of them either currently work or have worked in education. How are they corrupt? Who is corrupting them? You make them sound like Mike Madigan puppets. These people may not be perfect, and they may make decisions that you disagree with, but I don’t get highly corrupt. So Craig I ask for proof of their corruption.

Corrupt might be too strong a word, but they clearly don’t represent us. That’s their function as school board members, but instead they consider themselves part of the administration, defending a corrupt system of unions and paid managers who protect their fiefdoms rather than do the right thing for the children.
          At the end of the day board members have little latitude given the federal and state regulations piled on top of a binding union contract. But you won’t hear them say that.

5. bennie says:

everime I look a my tax bill I see dist U 46 even when I close my eyes so I feel entitled to know who and why anyone being paid from my tax money is on paid leave if it’s to personal to devulge it’s too personal for me to pay during her absence gives me the right to ask and get a truthful answer of why this person is mia while being paid.

6. AL says:

Where do these people thing we are going to get the money to pay for their never ending tax increases. I haven’t got a raise in five years. My company raised my portion for medical and stopped contributiing to my 401k. Utilities keep going up. Our government needs a complete overhaul or I will have no choice but to move to Roatan Honduras where I have a friend who lives there in a 4500 square foot house and pays $200 a year in property tax. Retired firefighter and retired nurse.