Dave Kaptain elected mayor

5 April 2011 RS 27 Comments

Dave Kaptain has been elected mayor of Elgin Dave Kaptain has been elected mayor of Elgin (Photo by The Elginite).

With all but one precinct counted, Dave Kaptain has won a decisive victory over incumbent Mayor Ed Schock. As of 11:00pm this evening, Mr. Kaptain received 3,920 votes to Ed Schock’s total of 3,290 votes.

Mr. Schock’s close ally on the city council, Mike Warren, has also been defeated. Incumbent Councilman John Steffen has been reelected. Voters have also elected two new members to the council: Anna Moeller and Tish Powell.

Mr. Steffen was the top vote getter with 3,863 votes, followed by Ms. Moeller with 3,628 votes and Tish Powell with 2,967 votes.

For Elgin Community College Board of Trustees, the “Three for ECC” slate of John Duffy, John G. Dalton and Eleanor “Ellie” MacKinney has won.

For Gail Borden Public Library Board of Trustees, Penny Wegman defeated Mohammed Iqbal for the 2-year slot. The other two members of the Wallet Wegman LaPorte slate lost. The 4-year slots were won by Jean Bednar, Lisa Knight, Herb Gross and Richard C. McCarthy

For U-46 School Board, the victors are Amy Kerber, Traci O’Neal Ellis, Maria Bidelman and Jennifer Schroder.

Voters approved a $30M bond to acquire land for the Forest Preserve District of Kane County. They also gave permission to the Elgin Township board to negotiate a garbage collection contract.

Update (4/6/2011): With all precincts counted, the final tally for Dave Kaptain is 3,922, representing a 630-vote margin of victory. Ed Schock received 3,292 votes.

27 Responses to “Dave Kaptain elected mayor”

1. Andy K says:

Well done MAYOR Kaptain!! I look forward to your term and offer my services to you if you should need them,

• Terry Gavin says:

“Ditto’s” here too on continuing to help Mayor Kaptain rebuild our community. Just like what we talked about on attracting more business’
      to Elgin!

2. Christine Mitchell says:

Oh Elginite. I’m so sad that you, too, have forgotten that Elgin has 2 (count ‘em TWO) school districts. It would have been nice if you were able to report on who won for school board in D301, in addition to U046.

• Craig says:

Christine, thanks for pointing this out. Sorry for the oversight—It honestly didn’t cross my mind until about 2 days before the election when I drove through the far west side and saw a school board candidate I hadn’t seen before.

One thing I’ve noticed (or at least perceived) is that far west Elgin doesn’t seem to be all that interested in Elgin’s governance. I noticed far fewer yard signs, and I can’t think of anyone I’ve met through city council meetings or the like that’s come from the area.

It’s probably just a product of being a newer part of town, but I’m glad there are concerned residents!

3. Common Sense Clarence Hayward says:

Congratulations to Mayor Elect Kaptain and the Councilman Steffen and Councilwoman Elect Moeller, and Powell, who won. I wish you all of God’s wisdom as you lead us for the next four years.

Common Sense Clarence Hayward

4. Common Sense Clarence Hayward says:

A big, big, thank you to RS, Craig, and all the others who took the time to show the contrasts between Mayor Elect Kaptain and Mayor Schock. This enabled the voters to make an informed and independent vote for our new Mayor Elect Dave Kaptain.

5. One Vote says:

Good coverage, Elginite. Thank you.
    Warren has got to be wondering what happened.
    As for the boards, we discussed the idea that there is a difference between taxpayer advocate and board advocate. Clearly the voters feel better with people who are cheerleaders for the operation than watchdogs of it.
    As a result, they govern with their hearts, not their heads.
    And we get stuck with a $500K gateway, constant remodeling at the library and a million dollar ex-superintendent.
    Must the poke be completely empty before people wake up?

6. JP says:

I voted in Cook county but I don’t remember seeing anything on my Electronic ballot about the Forest Preserve bond or the Garbage collection. Did I just glaze over?

• Crysta says:

The Forest Preserve was a Kane County initiative. Not sure about garbage collection?

• LFG-A says:

Garbage collection was for Elgin Township folks who are unincorporated - Forest Preserve was a 30m bond for Kane County ($12 extra a year on my taxes)

• JP says:

Thanks for the clarification you two. I kinda thought the FP Bonds might only be in Kane county, but the wording threw me off a little bit and made it sound like it was a City of Elgin initiative for the Kane Cty. FP to me. But, I guess I just wasn’t reading close enough. :)

7. paul says:

Does anyone know when the new mayor’s term begins?

8. VMB says:

I am also disappointed that Elginite has forgotten that Elgin has two school districts–how about reporting on District 301 school board elections?

9. Tsandor says:

Swearing in is at the 1st May meeting, May 11.

Kudo’s to MAYOR elect Kaptain for having the courage to give up a sure re-election to the city council to run against the Schock “machine”. Also kudo’s for elginite & all the posters that helped out both Schock & Warren w/ truth & facts! For far to long,since 2000, open debate & discussion was stifled by Ed & his majority on a host of contentious issues. Those days are over & may open govt. rule the day. No more back room deals open & transpart govt. is always the best policy.
    By the way Schock’s first victory against Kelly for mayor was by a margin about 1/3 of the margin of his defeat! Quite a legacy of failure indeed.

• Common Sense Clarence Hayward says:

I don’t know if anyone realizes it but two years ago I blogged repeatedly that Walters, Figueroa, and Rodgers who were part of the informal majority led by Mayor Schock should be voted out of office for being part of a group considering hiring Futterman Law Firm for a cost of $44,000 initially.

They were voted out.

Mayor Schock was the last one I had to repeatedly blog to get voted out as the leader of that informal majority and he was voted out. I am four for four.

This sends a clear message to all politicians elected that it isn’t beneficial to your political career to pull a ridiculous or similar stunt like that.

I know I was just part of a myriad of bloggers that all did their bloggin part.

Thanks for all who contributed.

11. Auggie69 says:

Oh Kaptain, my Kaptain!! All I can say is YES! YES!! YES!!!
    I’ll miss my Kaptain sign. Did anyone else notice that Dave’s were very patriotic and Ed’s looked like something for the communist party?

• Common Sense Clarence Hayward says:

You are so right. Dave’s signs were the best looking reminds me of David Akemann’s signs when he won the judgeship. He had the best looking signs.

12. Common Sense Clarence Hayward says:

If anyone knows where Dave Reinert lives it might be a good thing to check to see if he is ok after the voters said “We have been Schocked enough and want a Kaptain to lead us.”

13. RS says:

Thank you to everybody for the kind words. We tried to do our part to bring important information to the voters of Elgin.

In the month leading up to Election Day we served up 42,000 page views. We had 7,105 absolute unique visitors (Google terminology).

Thank you to all who spread the word and told your friends about The Elginite.

We would have done even more traffic but for the fact that our site got hacked and many of our pages got dropped from the search engines as a result about two weeks before the election. We are fixing this now.

We purchased 2.4 million ad impressions on Facebook and Google and reached 21,000 people in Elgin. On average, each person saw our ads 100 times.

It’s a relief for this to be all over with now, and it’s definitely time for a break!

14. LFG-A says:

Earlier today I was bummed that I wouldn’t be able to go to Keeney’s this year to talk all the post-election scoop with Patricia Keeney - but I had a funny thought just now… I know she’s giving all the angles and past Elginites in the great-beyond an earful already today - she just can’t help it! :) See yah on the ‘Flip Flop’ Pat, hugs….

15. Gifford Park says:

To the new Mayor and City Council members: Can we put an end this outrageous odd/even parking thing?

16. Common Sense Clarence Hayward says:

I am so glad we don’t have it in my neighborhood. Someone is having a big get together and if we get many more cars there won’t be anywhere for anyone to park on either side of the street.

17. Chuck Keysor says:

@ Gifford Park. The times I have run into the odd even parking, it has driven me crazy. Now is the time to work on such a change if you don’t like this. But don’t do this alone. I don’t know who you are, but if you want to call, you can reach me at 847-622-1835. Chuck