Elgin City Council Candidates

21 December 2008 RS 43 Comments

A total of four seats are up for grabs, which is a council majority, so this is an important election. If four new people are elected, it can change the direction of the city for better or for worse, depending on who they are and what they want to do.

Some of these names are familiar. Brenda Rodgers is a former council member who lost her last reelection bid. In her valedictory address, she called the Elgin City Council a den of vipers, so her desire to rejoin the body comes as a surprise. She’s running for the two-year seat that has been vacated by Mike Powers, which will be an easier path to victory than taking on the three incumbents.

Ms. Rodgers is running against Emi Morales, an attorney and former(?) LULAC officer, Charlene Sligting, president of Southwest Area Neighbors who chased downtown smoke shop Ozzie’s out of Elgin, and Mike Warren, an Elgin Symphony Orchestra trustee. Another two candidates are in the running: Al Fernandez and Michael Robins. According to the Herald, Mr. Fernandez is a “suburban police officer,” and Michael Robins is a former “Civil Service Commissioner,” according to the Courier.

Incumbents always have an advantage, especially in a system of at-large representation, which characterizes Elgin’s city council, and when there are a large number of challengers, which characterizes this election. Despite the substantial amount of dissatisfaction with the current council, Messrs. Figueroa, Gilliam and Walters are expected to retain their seats.

With the addition of Ms. Rodgers, the next council will look a lot like it looked a few years ago. The only difference will be that instead of Thomas Sandor, we have John Steffen.

Candidates for the 2-year seat:

Al Fernandez: City Council Candidate
Mike Warren: City Council Candidate
Questions for candidates
The SEIU candidates
Upcoming candidate forums
Candidate responses to AFLA questionnaire
City Council Candidates Forum (AFLA)
Linda Quezada: City Council Candidate
Emi Morales: City Council Candidate
John Prigge: City Council Candidate
Lenora Scruggs: City Council Candidate
Mike Robins: City Council Candidate
Charlene Sligting: City Council Candidate
Elgin candidates websites
Elgin City Council elections
Elgin City Council Candidates

43 Responses to “Elgin City Council Candidates”

1. Boxcar says:

“Despite the substantial amount of dissatisfaction with the current council, Messrs. Figueroa, Gilliam and Walters are expected to retain their seats.”

Based on what? Based on the superior quality of life Elginites have enjoyed the past four years? Not one forum and not one interview of the challengers has been printed!

I believe the only “expected” retaining is coming from the incumbents themselves. Even if the challengers were all idiots, I would still take my chances on new idiots than the existing ones. What a statement.

2. geognerd says:

Gilliam has been on the city council longer than most Elginites have been alive. According to the Census Bureau’s American Community Survey 2005-2007 estimate, 55.7% of Elginites are younger than 35 years old. Mr. Gilliam, you have had over three decades to improve Elgin and make your mark. If you haven’t been able to achieve everything you have ever wanted to achieve on the city council in that amount of time, you are one ineffective councilman. It is time for you to go.

3. RS says:

geognerd, you can call on Mr. Gilliam to go, but he’s running for re-election, so I don’t think he plans on going anywhere. Though now that you bring it up, when I attended Elgin City Council meetings with some regularity, I thought Mr. Gilliam often seemed tired or sleepy, or possibly just bored.

This could have been an exciting election if there was a slate of candidates who proposed reform–advocating measures like term limits, but to my knowledge that has not happened. And of the people who are now running, my guess is that some will drop out before the election, and some of the others that remain are probably not that seriously interested in the job.

It is not unheard of for people to get elected to office and then decide they don’t want the job. Heck, that’s happened right here in Elgin. So, Boxcar, I think that’s something that voters pay attention to. A candidate may have fine ideas, but how serious is he/she about the job? The thing about incumbents is that even if you don’t agree with them, they are a known quantity, so they are relatively safe picks.

The electoral system in Elgin, which needs reforming, is rigged in favor of incumbents. When voters are told to select three candidates from a list, they will do so, to the detriment of their preferred candidate. The result is that the names on the list with the most name recognition–the incumbents, will pick up the remaining two votes, which will have the effect of canceling out the vote cast for the preferred candidate.

The system of voting for multiple at-large representatives on the same ballot is the first thing a reform slate should propose to abolish.

But there is no reform slate…

4. geognerd says:

Creating wards or districts could introduce gerrymandering, but it would be a move away from the at-large system. Feel free to play devil’s advocate, but I think it may make it easier for a newcomer to get elected. Candidates would be trying to appeal to their neighbors instead of an entire city, as well as running against one incumbent instead of three.

Wards or districts would also ensure that all parts of the city had representation, though I haven’t looked up the residences of the councilmen to see if uneven representation is actually a problem.

Not sure how geographic representation would affect city council votes and city business either. Just throwing an idea out there.

5. RS says:

I agree that a ward system would make it much easier to unseat an incumbent, representation will improve, and also campaigns will become more affordable when you don’t have to campaign citywide.

Most council members, including the mayor, live in the Northeast Neighborhood:

David Kaptain, though, lives in the Eagle Heights neighborhood, and I think Robert Gilliam moved into one of the downtown condos, but I’m not sure about that.

The ward system does have its own negatives though…

6. Boxcar says:

With a ward system, you have to get along with your alderman or you are doomed. You can turn nowhere else, except the mayor.

The fact that the incumbents ARE a known quantity should lead to their demise in this election. Why would anyone vote for people who are proven ineffective? These three certainly are. Name ONE thing significant John Walters has done in his TWENTY-ONE years? I know of one, he voted against the Grand Victoria coming to Elgin.

Mr. Dunne, being a city employee, does make things potentially sticky. He would be privy to information about his job that no other firefighters would be, like union contracts. Would he have to abstain on all fire dept. votes?

Ironically, unless I’m missing something, if he is elected he could be in charge of his boss and his bosses boss, right?

7. RS says:

Yeah, I don’t think it would be a good idea for any city employee to sit on the council. I’m also not comfortable with a trustee of the ESO sitting on the council, especially when the mayor’s been talking about a $125M concert hall.

I also won’t support candidates who think illegal immigration is the best thing since the Mayflower.

And I won’t support candidates who are going to be part of a taliban clique.

So I’m not sure who that leaves in the running…anybody?

8. RS says:

So I don’t confuse any new readers, “taliban clique” is a term I’ve used before in older posts to describe the forces that seem intent on preventing Elgin from becoming a 24-hour city:

It is not meant to imply any religious affiliation.

9. rm says:

It seems as though we have a substantial number of candidates for the City Council and that the primary will do little to whittle down that crowd. With all those voices it may be a challenge to conduct meaningful candidate forums or otherwise help voters determine the background, platform and suitability of each contestant. True, the incumbents and Brenda Rodgers are to a large degree “known quantities,” and that knowledge is not in favor of their selection. On the other hand, we need to know that if we are voting for “change” we are also voting for improvement. I hope this blog remains active and takes a lead oar in helping us understand the candidates and their positions. ‘Til then, Merry Christmas to the blog’s readers. May a more enlightened city leadership be our gift to ourselves in the new year.

10. SB says:

It’s insanity to beleive, that electing the same on councilman will bring about different results. Here you have council members that have sat on the board for years at a time, and done nothing but line their pockets with self interest. Not always necessarily monetary but many other city perks. We can not continue to let this go on, our children’s future is at stake. We need beter school, better health care, help for parents with children with disabilities mental and physical. We must elect someone with all the people’s interest at heart. The incumbents don’t have a heart for anyone but themselves, like Governor Blago, that “what can you do for me mind set. Our communities, our children our seniors are being neglected. No community is getting equal representation. We can change Elgin, by changing our minds. “Change your Vote” if we don’t, all we will get is the same on song. Mr Bob G said he is going to prove that he can get re-elected, because Elginites relly don’t care who is on the council, or they are just plain stupid.

11. mike robins says:

Hello all, my website will be up soon, robinsforelgincitycouncil.com. It will discuss a new approach for the citizens of elgin, direct contact with me on all votes. animal rights, anti tethering for our dogs to stop aggression and embedded collars. you may contact me at 847-280-1958. My campaign promis is to contact you within 3 days after you leave me a message.
    thankyou for your patience. Mike

12. Zreebs says:

RS, So are there any candidates that actually support illegal immigration? What is the best way to learn more about the candidates short of going to Council meetings or watching them on tv?

Sorry Mike, but anti tethering laws isn’t a big deal for me.

13. Mike Robins for Elgin says:

I have already received several calls with interest on the animal rights and voter input if i am elected. The majority of people seeking political positions already have their mind made up on issues.My new approach for the residents,is to gather as much information from the residents and actually document and record how many people contact me and how they want a vote to go. This is not done on the majority of casted votes. This is a whole new approach I will not waffle on which is often done for varies reasons. Any residents or organizations may contact me at 847-280-1958. I can speak to groups upon request on varius issues and topics that are stale or an irritant to people. Thankyou for your interest. Mike Robins, former Civil Service Commission with Elgin, Pet therapy program, Sherman Hospital, Resident 8 years. There will be no waffling or conflict of interests with me as a council person. The residents want and deserve a clear, precise and impartial process in their local govt. and to feel conected with the process.

14. boxcar says:

Zreebs: Yes! The 3 incumbents all support and endorse illegal aliens. They have done nothing to address the issue and have accepted campaign contributions from the SEIU union and THEY endorse illegal aliens. Neither of the three have initiated anything substantial towards this problem.

Regarding the challengers, I don’t know for sure but suspect there will be many that will either take the ostrich approach or have a “no comment” response. THOSE are the ones NOT to vote for as that is as good as an endorsement for illegals.

If one, just ONE, challenger comes out against illegals, they will get many, many, many votes. If that same person comes with some solid ideas on how to treat this epidemic locally, that person could win in a landslide! This is a serious issue people and right now this election could not come at a better time. Like I said, the incumbents have already shown their lack of desire on this. They don’t think it’s a problem! LOL. I hope 3 challengers get the last laugh on this one. WE GOTTA VOTE!!!!!!!!!

15. For the residents of Elgin, my website is now up for the city council seat. http://www.robinsforelgincitycouncil.com. There are several topics of interest including immigration, with more to come in the future. Please contact me at 847-280-1958 for any discussion.
    Thankyou for your interest.

16. On February 24, the citizens of Elgin will have the opportunity to elect a new face to fill the vacant two-year City Council seat. The early voting period is February 2-19 for those who might be unavaible on February 24.

Numerous candidates forums have been schedule and not everyone can make sometimes. Just in case you are unable to attend a forum, I want you to know why I am running to be your next City Councilmember and how I will spend my time and energy once elected.

The Code Administration Department has recently suggested some changes in the home occupancy guidelines and I support changes to reduce overcrowding. Our current code policy is too liberal by allowing 1 person per 100 square feet. When elected, I will work to ensure that any new guidelines that reduce overcrowding are enforced.
    Furthermore, in order to promote the strength and safety of our neighborhoods, we need to work with landlords. If we enforce mandatory deconversion of rental properties when adequate off-street parking is not available, this too will reduce overcrowding.

This would be a results-oriented system to enhance accountability and be a key tool for understanding the needs of citizens and an effective channel for fostering better communication through out the city.
    This would also provide a point of contact during normal business hours and weekends when residents find it most difficult to get their concerns addressed and resolved.

In dealing with the current economic climate, tough decisions need to made to balance the budget while ensuring basic city services will not be affected. I will work with staff to prioritize services needed to maintain the quality of life Elgin residents should expect from city government.

I will form partnerships and collaborate with established environmental groups to help make Elgin a sustainable city through energy conservation and waste reduction.
    There are progressive ways to achieve this goal and my committement to you is to research ways to use the Fox River as a further natural resource.

For additional information please visit my web site http://www.CharleneSligting.com or call me at 630-927-5890 if you would like to talk one on one.

17. Boxcar says:

I’m sorry, Mr. Robins, but 5 weak, generic sentences about the biggest problem in Elgin is not going to win my support. You said nothing. You have 30 times more words about dogs being tied to trees than illegals in Elgin.

Ms. Sligting’s site has n-o-t-h-i-n-g about Elgin’s #1 problem. So, that leaves Fernandez, Warren, Morales and Rodgers in this crew to have a clue.

Are you ignoring this issue?

18. Boxcar says:

After sleeping on this, I’ve decided that under no circumstances can I vote for anyone who says or does nothing about illegals in Elgin. We already have 6 in office now who are like that NOW and look what we have!!

If any candidate doesn’t have a position on illegals or better yet, come out with a plan to do something against this (which is KILLING Elgin), you are not serving the people, you’re serving yourself and just looking for a job.

19. Todd Martin says:

Excellent blog post. I appreciate the opportunity to learn more about these candidates. Personally, I think fellow posters are missing out on the actions the Elgin City Council has already taken in 2008 regarding illegal immigration. The Elgin jail now screens everyone and the city requires its contractors to check their workers’ status.

Charlene’s Sligting’s proposals to tighten code requirements and mandate some deconversions would really address some of the problems illegal immigration bring to Elgin.

On the other hand, her close ties to the Republican party lead me to be very cautious regarding how honest her commitment to the environment is. I want more details on her views on Fox river issues for example: dam modification or removal? How about support for ongoing storm and sewer separation? What kind of develpment does she want to see along the river, if any?

As for Mike Robbins, an anti-tether ordinance does not make a candidate! It’s like running for Chicago Alderman on a foie gras ban platform.

20. Boxcar says:

Whatever is or was done is not enough. This council, specifically these incumbents are bankrupt on ideas.

Now, it’s too late for their ideas. Anything they say now will be out of desperation to save their jobs. It’s too late. Almost any four will be better than what we have. I challenge anyone to name ONE thing these 3 incumbents have done or initiated in tghe past 4 years that make them worthy of a vote.

Let’s remember, Mr. Walters voted against the Grand Vic coming. Can you imagine what this town would look like without the Grand Vic? It would look like Carpentersville’s big sister.

No sir, if you want a chance in this election you better have a stance and plan on illegals. To candidates Sligting and Robins: Hiding on this is as good as begging for more illegal aliens to come here and overcrowd and ruin this city. Is that what you want to see happen?

21. RS says:

Todd, I would remind you that the EPA was established by a Republican president, and a Republican president is generally acknowledged as the father of the national park system. Largely Republican organizations such as Ducks unlimited have preserved millions of acres of environmentally sensitive wetlands, etc.

It’s true that the Republican party is not beholden to environmental organizations like Sierra Club and Greenpeace, both of which can be regarded as extreme, and that Republicans are generally skeptical of Al Gore and his global warming ideas, but it does not mean the party disregards the environment.

Ms. Sligting’s statement about the Fox River, “research ways to use the Fox River as a further natural resource,” is mysterious indeed. I doubt that it involves dam removal, which I’m in favor of, but which is politically impossible for now.

It is strange that the candidates don’t have views on the major issues facing Elgin and the big budget issues that the council has been toying with for the past few years (concert hall, sports stadium, professional softball).

We need to know what their priorities are, but instead of that we are getting ideas like anti-tethering, which seem so small in the scheme of things.

Even then, some ideas are easier to propose than they are to implement. With 311, for example, who’s going to answer the phone? This is a multi-million dollar project we’re talking about. Where in the budget are you going to make room for this at a time of falling city revenues?

In a 2008 report, the Pennsylvnia Intergovernmental Cooperation Authority, identified Philadelphia’s 311 system as one of the nine major threats to fiscal solvency in that city. (see link further down)

We already have an online citizen request tracker, and money is better spent improving and promoting that rather than spending millions of dollars on a risky 311 system.

If you are interested in 311, here’s an interesting blog post by a Philly state legislator:

“The New York 311 system, for instance, started out employing 375 people, had start-up costs of $21 million, and operating costs of $27 million for its first year in 2003-2004. It generated many millions of phone calls, but the number of emergency calls to the 911 system stayed the same.Despite whatever efficiencies the 311 system may have generated, New York City now has a budget DEFICITof $4 billion, about the size of Philadelphia’s TOTAL budget.”

22. RS says:

I also should have mentioned the most recent news:

A century after Teddy Roosevelt started preserving landmarks and landscapes as national monuments, President Bush has swept nearly 200,000 square miles of seascapes into three new national marine monuments around US Pacific territories.

The much-anticipated action this week follows a similar move two years ago along the northwest Hawaiian islands. Taken together, the two efforts extend tough environmental safeguards to 355,000 square miles of islands, reefs, atolls, and their surrounding waters. Those included in the latest announcement represent some of the most remote, pristine reef systems in the world.

The response from several environmental groups, long critical of the administration on a range of other issues, has been swift and effusive.

23. Jessica says:

Any figures on Chicago’s 3-1-1? I don’t know anything about the cost, but it was WONDERFUL when I lived there. It could be used for almost anything.

I called once when my car broke down and then a tow came to help me. When I didn’t have a car any more I called to report a pothole in the bike lane and it was fixed within the week.

I wouldn’t think Elgin’s costs wouldn’t be anywhere near the other major cities since we have just a fraction of the population and would be receiving just a fraction of calls.

Also I remember in the race for Kane County Castro talked about doing a county-wide 311, so maybe the entire burden of cost wouldn’t fall on the City.

24. Jessica says:

Regarding the Fox River…would it be safe for swimming if the dam was removed?

25. RS says:

Sorry, I don’t have figures for Chicago, Jessica. What the cost would be for Elgin I’m going to leave to the proponents of 311 to estimate.

As for swimming in the Fox River, dam removal would improve water quality as well as physical safety. You would also be able to kayak or canoe a much greater length of the river without having to portage.

There are a lot of people, though, who have a strong attachment to the Kimball Street dam, so removal is not going to happen anytime soon. It will take years to convince people, and I don’t see the local environmental groups doing much or anything on that front.

26. Sarah says:

Boxcar, you talk to much,Todd, with no desrespect to you, my conversation with Mr. Robins does not indicate he is running on a foie gras platform, wake up.I am an educated woman with a professional career. I have called Mr. Robins to speak with him on some of my neighborhood concerns. He gave me very practical solutions and responses, however is not in a position yet to take action for us. Also, have you seen the recent news stories on mauled children by aggresive dogs? Mr. Robins is correct in that they are social animals that become very aggresive when not cared for properly. This issue comes up often, this is a great solution! I encourage you to research how many other communities have enhanced their animal ordinances. Also, Mr. Robins is accepting no money from anyone!!!!!!. All the other canditates are, and they have all of their ideas they think are good for everyone. A candidate that has already been part of a neighborhood organization, will always drift toward that home base, its human nature, especially if they help with funds or contribute. Mr. Robins wants none of these issues, he straight out told me he will treat all areas and neighborhoods throughout the city on an equal platform and I believe him. For all of us that keep complaining, how many candidates have not accepted money? You may or may NOT know of a council person drifting in the future in regards to donations in the past, bank on it! This is new, something you need to grasp for our common good!

27. Boxcar says:

Sarah, I see your self-proclaimed education sure does not include spelling, punctuation and sentence structure. Stick around, you could add EVEN MORE education to your proclamation by reading what other people write here.

If I decoded what you wrote into normal English correctly, I can say that if Mr. Robins plans on not seeking donations, I applaud his wealth. If his platform page on his website gets any more lightweight and non-specific about REAL issues, I will applaud him for his comedic entertainment effort after all of this campaigning.

He appears to me to be a one-issue candidate. Tying dogs to a tree?? C’mon. Could there be anything so less-important, yet, so laughable in today’s Elgin? He may get the dog lover vote but it is going to take more than 30 votes to get elected.

See? Look at what you just learned now. All at no-charge!

28. dino says:

Hi all, Mr. Boxcar, after reading all of these blogs, which it seems most of us in elgin are not looking at, it seems, you are the one-issue person with your perception. Remember, perception is reality. Have you or any of your family members really become close to an animal? you may be very suprised at what they give back, and no I am not an animal freak, Im just like you or anyone else, however your showing your true colors by not caring about a bloody enbedded collar. But lets put this to the side.To all of you,there is nothing comical about all of our politicians taking money and the negative outcomes with this through time. At a state and our local level. Robins may have money or may not, lets find out if your that concerned, maybe he feels like most of us, disgusted with the present state of affairs. I also agree with you sarah, that candidates that accept money, AND have had long past relationships with certain neighborhood associations will eventually stay with the people that supported them in the beginning. This has been the problem with our whole political structure. I also like Robins approach toward involving the community and residents more, which now I have noticed, other candidates are duplicating with updates on their websites. These are REAL issues that ARE important and to a common person like myself, not laughable! Also, Boxcar if you feel so negative and comical about so much, why are you not running for office, seriously, it appears you are very negative about the community, maybe more so than others. What would your solutions be to all of your indicated problems. I personally do not have the time or background for this.

29. RS says:

Everybody, please let’s be respectful and keep the tone positive on this blog. We all enjoy reading comments and appreciate the discussion, but I don’t think anybody wants this to devolve into anything less than a civil forum.

30. Jessica T. says:

I cannot agree that being affiliated with a neighborhood organization could be a strike against a candidate. In fact, it shows that the candidate has been actively involved in the community as a leader already. If anything, I think a candidate being part of a neighborhood organization is GOOD reason to vote for that person. Dave Kaptain was strongly involved in his neighborhood org before joining the council and I believe he’s one of the best council members we have!

Saying representatives will only look out for their neighborhood is an argument against a ward system. In the ward system, representatives’ constituents are only those in their neighborhood. In our system, representatives are held responsible to residents of the entire city.

31. Boxcar says:

I am a dog owner and he is a great pet. A true blue member of my family. But in no way can I relate with anyone who feels that tethering a dog to a tree is a campaign issue, let alone in the Top 50 issues of Elgin.

If there are police statistics that show dog tethering is right up there with gang crimes, illegal aliens, over-development of condos, a struggling downtown, continued city services, layoffs at city hall, etc., etc., I’ll change my mind.

I’m not negative. I’m just realistic about negative things that impact the Elgin. And, I’m all for civility, too.

32. tom says:

I agree with Boxcar. Elgin city council should concentrate on bigger issues at hand.

1. This spring will bring pot holes to the #1 issue. We had to take money from the new golf course to repair this last year. What will the city council do to ensure these are taken care of this year? Will be have to issue bonds to repave roads?

2. The downtown sewer project is a mess. How will city council ensure that this project stays on task and in budget so we can re-invent the downtown area.

3. The Centre looses a ton of money. What can we do to ensure this great resource can pay for itself? (Hey lets lower the membership dues so more elginites can parake of this this resource)

This are just some off the top issues there are many more. Besides we only have 1 full time animal control officer and another part time control officer. They don’t need to be patrolling the streets looking for a dog on a leash. And besides is it really that big of a deal. A dog on a leash is not causing any public harm. In fact some might argue that the owner is being responsible putting the dog on a leash instead of running at large. Mike Robin needs a new platform.

33. RS says:

tom, I think Mr. Robins wants to limit the amount of time the dog can be tethered outside. I don’t think he’s proposing an outright ban. The effect would be that an incident can be reported–most likely by a neighbor, but there would be no need for a patrol.

It does not seem like an unreasonable ordinance to me, because neighbors are only going to report it when the dog is clearly in an abusive situation, such as being tied up in the hot sun for hours.

But I agree with you that this is not a reason to run for city council. I would recommend to Mr. Robins that he take his proposal to the council rather than trying to get on it just to pass this proposal.

34. Paul says:

“make Elgin a sustainable city”

Now there is a utterly meaningless statement. I suppose political correctness demands everyone to proclaim their greenness!
    Elgin has been sustainable for 170 years now.
    Downtown Elgin hasn’t been sustainable for the past 40 years.
    Elgin’s older neighborhoods have been sustaining recent Hispanic immigrants quite well.
    Tearing down Elgin factories which in turn tears down Elgin livelihoods and turns that Elgin tax generating base into a tax sucking unusable “green space” does not enhance Elgin as a “sustainable city”. It actually enhances unsustainability.
    Rather than being a empty vacuous statement, “sustainable city” is so broad that it encompasses every single issue from the immigration illegality and all its associated problems, to downtown development to far west development to dog collars.
    I’d have more respect for Charlene if she didn’t even mention “sustainable city” rather than reinforcing the emptiness of the loony left philosophy. TAKE A STAND.

35. Boxcar says:

Paul & others,

Prigge’s stand on “green” issues makes some sense, I think. Heck, the only candidate’s website that takes a stand and offers a plan/thought/solution is Prigge’s anyway. Figueroa lists his “successes”, but no plan for current and future issues. You won’t see him address immigration trouble, for sure. Look at his site and you’ll see he “supported” more things than initiated.

Walters and Gilliam have NO website. Nor does Dunne, Trego, Khan, Fernandez, Warren, Nowak or Quezada -(A teenage-looking MySpace page with the URL of “suckafree2″ doesn’t count)

It’s early, I know, but how early can you get in this election? As far as I’m concerned, I want to know where these people stand right now on the issues that are important. Don’t give me double-talk or wide ranging thoughts. I’ve had enough BS from politicians.

36. Pete Culver says:

Elgin’s problems stem from their arrogance at city hall and this council. This is a city that can fine you without warning for a ladder laying along side your garage, but look the other way if a business breaks state building codes. This has always neen the case.

A person can wait 67 working days for FOI’s,…. The Freedom of Information Act allows citizens the opportunity to see ALL the details of how tax payers mony is spent. For the city not to reveal these financial dealings when requested only creates impressons of under-the- table dealings….whether they are happening or not!

This is the council that would give millions of tax payer dollars to developers for construction projects, yet NOT include members in their community first opportunities for work for them…Even when their own constituants rate of unemployment is staggering….They don’nt care about it’s citizenery, they want to see buildings standing, so they can feed their egos of look what we created..To hell with how we got there!

The Council’s authoritarian attitute towards it’s citizens has always been an amazement to us…We seem to feed on it…..

37. Carl Flaks says:

I have read all the blogs with interest. It seems that most come from a few individuals with a warped view of the issues. Trying to make immigration into an issue is bogus. These peopole have no sense of historical perspective. As a retired history teacher it is obvious to me that they never learned about the role of immigrants in US History or never stayed in school long enough to do so. The incumbants all deserve to be voted out. They screwed up the downtown. That is a big issue for the upcoming election. Another issue is trying to unite the new west side Elgin with the traditional Elgin. I don’t see any candidate doing this.

38. Alan says:

Carl, it’s not immigration that’s an issue, it’s ILLEGAL immigration. Big difference.

39. Boxcar says:

I learned about this from MY history teacher about the role of immigrants in U.S. history:

40. Lori says:

Reading these posts, I feel like I am in the middle of a war of words, not concerns about solving the sad state of affairs in Elgin. There are so many issues Elgin needs to work on that a prospective council member could not possible address all these issues in his campaign. Listening to them and reading what they have to say is a great way to get an idea of how they think and what they want this town to become. I think it is rather obvious to all that the current council, manager and mayor have blinders on and earplugs in. If they can’t see it or hear it, it doesn’t exist–akin to burying one’s head in the sand. If they really cared about what the general population wanted, they would not have a 5 minute time limit for those wishing to speak at a city council meeting. We need action on police response to crimes being committed, investigation into how and where the city spends it tax dollars, why certain businesses are allowed to stay open with fights and drug crimes occurring almost daily, and other ones shut down for no apparent reason other than they ticked someone off in the Elgin government. We need to stop them from doing what they want to do without asking the citizens how they feel about it, or is it even necessary. A recent example is the bike path in front of Associated Bank on Spring Street. Much needed parking spaces were eliminated, and a handicap person will have great difficulty getting to the bank. Who wants to go to a bank where you have to cross the street into a dark city parking lot with a wad of cash in their pockets? We do need a bike path in Elgin, but it ends at East Chicago Street, so what is the purpose of it to begin with? This may seem trivial, but it is the little things that add up and have a larger impact than a few big issues. The fact remains that Elgin is run poorly without the best interest of the average citizen in mind. Let’s get a variety of new council members with myriad ideas and see what happens-it is time Shock and his henchmen become accountable for their actions, and new members will hopefully be able to push their buttons and make a better future for all of Elgin, not just a few selected areas. All of us need to work together on all the problems, and nit-picking serves no purpose other than to cause bad feelings between people who have the same goal in mind.

41. WildeKurt says:

The statement from above is interesting:

“It will be clearer after the February 24th primary, but Ms. Rodgers is favored to win.”

After attending the Candidate Forum on Feb. 5 I can say I’m now terribly impressed with Ms. Rogers. I think other candidates such as Mr’s Fernandez, Robbins or Warren have more to offer the City.

42. RS says:

WildeKurt, thanks for commenting. I like your moto pictures by the way.

With regard to Ms. Rogers, a lot of people, including me, share your sentiments. But she has her supporters (she polled reasonably well in the last election), name recognition and some residual incumbency.

43. Surprisingly riveting blog column.